Use the five sustainability transformation fields to your advantage
Companies can get lost in the complexity of sustainability topics. Five fields now simplify the transformation.
Few years ago, the German Sustainability Award (Deutscher Nachhaltigkeitspreis), Europe’s most prestigious transformation award, made a breakthrough decision: the award shifted the focus from internal sustainability of companies towards external impact of companies in five fundamental fields in the transformation.
Those fields are:
- Climate: transforming into a climate-neutral and -resilient economy
- Circular: transforming into a circular, resource-efficient economy
- Biodiversity: transforming into a regenerative economy protecting and regenerating biodiversity and ecosystems
- Supply chain: transforming into a transparent and fair value chain collaboration system lifting up people based on their work
- Society: transforming into an inclusive social development lifting millions out of poverty and fostering social growth e.g. in education or health and overcoming social divide
The five fields synthesize the 17 Sustainable Development Goals and create focus for action. Also the German Government introduced areas of transformation in its Sustainability Strategy to emphasize focus and prioritization.
As a company you too can structure your sustainability program around transformation fields. This lifts materiality discussions to strategic fields rather than single topics. And it addresses both questions of the double materiality analysis requested from companies:
- Business Materiality: Which fields are important for our business?
- Impact Materiality: In which fields do we have the highest impact?
Looking at score4more, we also run our scoring analysis clustered in the five transformation fields and provide feedback to companies along these fields and based on their industry.